Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday's Link Up with Meg #1


Quick introduction: I am Megan, the older-wiser sister. Ha, I crack myself up.  Morgan has been busy this week and asked if I had any interest in linking up and doing a blog post for her.  So here is my attempt.

A Week of Green Smoothies for $10

I was at our local grocery store yesterday, and saw that they had one pound bags of spinach on sale for 99 cents!  So I started singing that line from "Thrift Shop," in the produce aisle and people were staring at me all funny-like.... okay that might have not happened quite like that, but you get my level of excitement.  I'll admit that the spinach was not salad quality, but I had the perfect idea for it.  Green Smoothies! It took me a few more minutes to gather all the grocery's I would need and I was out the door.  (It is amazing how fast shopping goes when you go without the kids!)

Grocery List:
  • 1 lb fresh spinach 
  • 2 small bags of frozen mangos
  • 1 small bag of frozen mixed berries
  • 4 bananas
  • 16 oz bottle of POM pomegranate juice
  • 8-quart size freezer bags
  • Extras: ice, flavored greek yogurt, ground flax, avocado, fresh berries...
Now here is when it gets tricky.... I am just kidding, no measuring required. Divide your goodies into the eight bags as equally as possible. The spinach goes in first (a loose handful works well... as close to 2 ounces as possible).  Then put 1/2 a banana, a 1/4 bag of mangos, and 1/8 bag of berries. Just DUMP them into the bag (my favorite type of recipe).  This will make 8 individual smoothies, bonus for this busy mom.



Keep in mind these are technically "Green Smoothies." That is where the POM juice comes in.  Adding liquid in the blender will help everything blend evenly, and get a smoother quality.  The juice also turns the mixture to a purple color, which is more kid-friendly in my home. Only about 2 ounces of juice is required per freezer bag of ingredients. A small bottle of juice will make all of the smoothies for the week.  You may be thinking you need it a little sweeter, but resist adding sugar.... trust me, your body will thank you!


Did you know a regular sized mason jar typically fits most standard size blenders... blend in that and save a few dishes!


Just keep the baggies in the freezer so that you always have a smoothie ready to go! You can add different extras every day to change up the flavor, too! Now that you have your healthy, delicious, all natural green smoothies ready to go for the week try to keep the kids away! They will be stealing a sip every chance they get.  And the best part, the spinach can just be our little secret!



Oh, by the way... did you see the lovely vintage windows and bunting?  They are compliments of The Blue Roan, of course!  I just adore the distressed look and amazing color quality that the milk paint provided.  I am hooked on that milk paint stuff... best part is, IT IS ALL NATURAL too!!! My kids could eat off of it and they would have no chemical exposure! Why they would eat off it is beyond me, but stranger things happen with two little boys.  THANK YOU MORGAN!

Have a great weekend!

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS